Support Our Soldiers Freedom, Inc. (S.O.S. Freedom), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, was established in 2015 by Marilee Papale Shipman, the wife of a retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Marilee saw the financial, physical and emotional challenges active duty military and veterans face every day and decided to make a difference.
The objective of S.O.S. Freedom is to provide financial assistance to active duty military and veterans for expenses not covered by military benefits. We hold donation drives and raise money throughout the year to help meet the needs of those who have so selflessly defended our country. The Essence of Freedom Run, held every Memorial Day is the signature fundraising event for S.O.S. Freedom, Inc.
Examples of our Support Include:
- Household payments (mortgage, rent, utilities)
- Home repairs and modifications
- Transportation and automotive repairs
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), urgent and critical health care
- Transition to civilian life
With your support, S.O.S. Freedom will continue to grow and provide vital assistance to even more of our country’s heroes. Some of the people we’ve helped include:
- Widow with five children whose husband was killed in action
- Veteran who needed a specially-designed home
- Veteran with PTSD who needed food and veterinary care for his service dog
- Dozens of active-duty military personnel, veterans and their families who were devastated by a flood
- Active duty Air Force personnel who benefited physically and emotionally from complimentary alternative medicine from our corporate sponsor Essence Pilates
- Army veteran and single mother who faced eviction after complications from surgery left her unable to work
- Disabled Army veteran whose family needed assistance with groceries, utilities and rent when their infant daughter requred heart surgery.
“Thank you for giving me an avenue to process my experiences. I lost men I commanded. I think about it often. This run actually helps me deal with my emotions.” – Former Marine
“You made me feel even more appreciated. Thanks so much.” – Marine Recruit
“Thanks so much! This scholarship is really amazing.” – Marine Recruit
“Thank you to your organization for the gift you gave to my family! Your hard work and dedication to the members of the Service for our country is beautiful.” – Military Mother
“Marilee runs a first-class organization. She was so responsive to my situation and I’m very grateful for the assistance I received from S.O.S. Freedom.” – Army Veteran